Re: RFC: PCI devices passthrough on Arm design proposal

On 16.07.2020 19:10, Rahul Singh wrote:
> # Discovering PCI devices:
>
> PCI-PCIe enumeration is a process of detecting devices connected to its host.
> It is the responsibility of the hardware domain or boot firmware to do the
> PCI enumeration and configure the BAR, PCI capabilities, and MSI/MSI-X
> configuration.
>
> PCI-PCIe enumeration in XEN is not feasible for the configuration part as it
> would require a lot of code inside Xen which would require a lot of
> maintenance. Added to this many platforms require some quirks in that part of
> the PCI code which would greatly improve Xen complexity. Once hardware domain
> enumerates the device then it will communicate to XEN via the below hypercall.
>
> #define PHYSDEVOP_pci_device_add        25
> struct physdev_pci_device_add {
>     uint16_t seg;
>     uint8_t bus;
>     uint8_t devfn;
>     uint32_t flags;
>     struct {
>       uint8_t bus;
>       uint8_t devfn;
>     } physfn;
>     /*
>     * Optional parameters array.
>     * First element ([0]) is PXM domain associated with the device (if *
> XEN_PCI_DEV_PXM is set)
>     */
>     uint32_t optarr[XEN_FLEX_ARRAY_DIM];
>     };
>
> As the hypercall argument has the PCI segment number, XEN will access the PCI
> config space based on this segment number and find the host-bridge
> corresponding to this segment number. At this stage host bridge is fully
> initialized so there will be no issue to access the config space.
>
> XEN will add the PCI devices in the linked list maintain in XEN using the
> function pci_add_device(). XEN will be aware of all the PCI devices on the
> system and all the device will be added to the hardware domain.

Have you had any thoughts about Dom0 re-arranging the bus numbering?
This is, afaict, a still open issue on x86 as well.

> Limitations:
> * When PCI devices are added to XEN, MSI capability is not initialized inside
> XEN and not supported as of now.

I think this is a pretty severe limitation, as modern devices tend to
not support pin based interrupts anymore.

> # Emulated PCI device tree node in libxl:
>
> Libxl is creating a virtual PCI device tree node in the device tree to enable
> the guest OS to discover the virtual PCI during guest boot. We introduced the
> new config option [vpci="pci_ecam"] for guests. When this config option is
> enabled in a guest configuration, a PCI device tree node will be created in
> the guest device tree.

I support Stefano's suggestion for this to be an optional thing, i.e.
there to be no need for it when there are PCI devices assigned to the
guest anyway. I also wonder about the pci_ prefix here - isn't
vpci="ecam" as unambiguous?

> A new area has been reserved in the arm guest physical map at which the VPCI
> bus is declared in the device tree (reg and ranges parameters of the node). A
> trap handler for the PCI ECAM access from guest has been registered at the
> defined address and redirects requests to the VPCI driver in Xen.
>
> Limitation:
> * Only one PCI device tree node is supported as of now.
>
> BAR value and IOMEM mapping:
>
> Linux guest will do the PCI enumeration based on the area reserved for ECAM
> and IOMEM ranges in the VPCI device tree node. Once PCI   device is assigned
> to the guest, XEN will map the guest PCI IOMEM region to the real physical
> IOMEM region only for the assigned devices.
>
> As of now we have not modified the existing VPCI code to map the guest PCI
> IOMEM region to the real physical IOMEM region. We used the existing guest
> “iomem” config option to map the region.
> For example:
>       Guest reserved IOMEM region:  0x04020000
>       Real physical IOMEM region:0x50000000
>       IOMEM size:128MB
>       iomem config will be:   iomem = ["0x50000,0x8000@0x4020"]

This surely is planned to go away before the code hits upstream? The
ranges really should be read out of the BARs, as I see the
"limitations" section further down suggests, but it's not clear
whether "limitations" are items that you plan to take care of before
submitting your code for review.

Jan