Re: Virtio in Xen on Arm (based on IOREQ concept)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020, Alex Bennée wrote:
> Julien Grall <julien@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Hi Stefano,

> >> Not yet (as far as I know), but we have just started some discussons on
> >> this topic within Linaro.
> >>

> >> You should also be aware that there is another proposal based on
> >> pre-shared-memory and memcpys to solve the virtio security issue:
> >>
> >> https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=158807398403549
> >>
> >> It would be certainly slower than the "virtio IOMMU" solution but it
> >> would take far less time to develop and could work as a short-term
> >> stop-gap.
> >
> > I don't think I agree with this blank statement. In the case of "virtio
> > IOMMU", you would need to potentially map/unmap pages every request
> > which would result to a lot of back and forth to the hypervisor.

Yes, that's true.

> Can a virtio-iommu just set bounds when a device is initialised as to
> where memory will be in the kernel address space?

First let me premise to avoid possible miscommunication that what Julien
and I are calling "virtio IOMMU" is not an existing virtio-iommu driver
of some sort, but an idea for a cross-domain virtual IOMMU for the sake
of the frontends to explicitly permit memory to be accessed by the
backends. Hopefully it was clear already but better be sure :-)

If you are asking whether it would be possible to use the virtual IOMMU
just to setup memory at startup time, then it certainly could, but
effectively we would end up with one of the following scenarios:

1) one pre-shared bounce buffer
Effectively the same as https://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=158807398403549
still requires memcpys
could still be nicer than Qualcomm's proposal because easier to
configure?

2) all domU memory allowed access to the backend
Not actually any more secure than placing the backends in dom0

Otherwise we need the dynamic maps/unmaps.

For completeness, if we could write the whole software stack from
scratch, it would also be possible to architect a protocol (like
virtio-net) and the software stack above it to always allocate memory
from a given buffer (the pre-shared buffer), hence greatly reducing the
amount of required memcpys, maybe even down to zero. In reality, most
interfaces in Linux and POSIX userspace expect the application to be the
one providing the buffer, hence they would require memcpys in the kernel
to move data between the user-provided buffers and the pre-shared buffers.