Re: Xen 4.14.0 fails on Dell IoT Gateway without efi=no-rs

On Aug 20, 2020, at 07:24, George Dunlap <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 9:35 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

As far as making cases like this work by default, I'm afraid it'll
need to be proposed to replace me as the maintainer of EFI code in
Xen. I will remain on the position that it is not acceptable to
apply workarounds for firmware issues by default unless they're
entirely benign to spec-conforming systems. DMI data based enabling
of workarounds, for example, is acceptable in the common case, as
long as the matching pattern isn't unreasonably wide.

It sort of sounds like it would be useful to have a wider discussion on this then, to hash out what exactly it is we want to do as a project.

 -George

Sometimes a middle ground is possible, e.g. see this Nov 2019 thread about a possible Xen Kconfig option for EFI_NONSPEC_COMPATIBILITY, targeting Edge/IoT/laptop hardware:

https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/xen/devel/571670#571670

In the years to come, edge devices will only grow in numbers.  Some will be supported in production for more than a decade, which will require new long-term commercial support mechanisms for device BIOS, rather than firmware engineers shifting focus after a device is launched.

In parallel to (opt-in) Xen workarounds for a constrained and documented set of firmware issues, we need more industry efforts to support open firmware, like coreboot and OCP Open System Firmware with minimum binary blobs.  At least one major x86 OEM is expected to ship open firmware in one of their popular devices, which may encourage competing OEM devices to follow.

PC Engines APU2 (dual-core AMD, 4GB RAM, 6W TDP, triple NIC + LTE) is one available edge device which supports Xen and has open (coreboot) firmware.  It would be nice to include APU2 in LF Edge support, if only to provide competition to OEM devices with buggy firmware. Upcoming Intel Tiger Lake (Core) and Elkhart Lake (Atom Tremont) are expected to expand edge-relevant security features, which would make such devices attractive to Xen deployments.

We also need edge software vendors to encourage device OEMs to enable open firmware via coreboot, OCP OSF, Intel MinPlatform and similar programs. See https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/minimum-platform-architecture-open-source-uefi-firmware-for-intel-based-platforms.html and other talks from the open firmware conference, https://osfc.io/archive

Rich