HVM BIOS ROM and modules

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 00:29:18 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 22:29:47 +0000

Hello again,
I'm now facing another issue with qemu-xen, this time on Xen 4.13

Starting a HVM domains with qemu-xen instead of qemu-dm fails with
(d9) Writing SMBIOS tables ...
(d9) Loading SeaBIOS ...
(d9) no BIOS ROM image found
(d9) *** HVMLoader bug at hvmloader.c:394
(d9) *** HVMLoader crashed.

I tracked this down to info->nr_modules being 0 in
hvmloader.c:get_module_entry()

but I failed to see where this is supposed to be initialised.
qemu-system-i386 does read the ROM file (I checked with ktrace) but
I can't see where it would setup info->nr_modules for the guest
(it does for PVH but not for HVM, AFAIK).
Is qemu supposed to setup modules params in info, or should
xl do it ? If the former, where does it happens in qemu-xen sources ?
If the later, how does it know which rom to load ?

thanks,

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>