Re: AW: DT with memory bank of size 0 (WAS: Re: AW: AW: Colibri imx8qxp: Missing kernel boot module)

Hi Daniel,

On 17/09/2020 10:47, Daniel Wagner2 wrote:
Btw 8_8000_0000 is the start address of this systems DDR Main
memory, according to the Reference Manual of the i.MX8QXP.
I couldn't find this value in the DT. It is possible that U-boot is
modifying the memory node before jumping to Xen (or Linux).

Looking at Linux, they seem to ignore any bank with size == 0. I am
starting to wonder whether your DT is (ab)using it.

Do you have Linux running on baremetal on this board? If so would you
mind to dump the DT from the userspace (via /proc/device-tree) this
time?

I do have linux running on baremetal on the plattform.
Created dtb and dts with devicetree-compiler:
dtc -I fs -O dtb -o ~/dtb-dump /proc/device-tree
dtc -I dtb -O dts -o ~/dts-dump ~/dtb-dump

uploaded both to google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jbpnz35sC0NbCyEjrkLqelBsKBztW1S6

You were right, after the boot, the memory node contains the second bank
with
size=0.

memory@80000000 {
        device_type = "memory";
        reg = < 0x00 0x80200000 0x00 0x7fe00000 0x08 0x80000000 0x00 0x00 >;
};

Thank you for the testing. I am glad we finally found the reason!

In any case, we may want to relax the check in Xen. Any opinions?

Yeah, ignoring a bank with size=0 is fine. I checked the epapr and it
doesn't
specify that size=0 is invalid, so I think it is actually better to ignore
it and
continue even from a spec perspective.

I have sent a patch to ignore empty bank ([1]). Would you mind to test it?

The patch is based on unstable, but it should be easy to apply it on older release.

Best regards,

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/20200918171116.29005-1-julien@xxxxxxx/

--
Julien Grall