Re: [RFC] MAINTAINERS tag for cleanup robot

On Sun, 2020-11-22 at 08:33 -0800, Tom Rix wrote:
> On 11/21/20 9:10 AM, Joe Perches wrote:
> > On Sat, 2020-11-21 at 08:50 -0800, trix@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > A difficult part of automating commits is composing the subsystem
> > > preamble in the commit log.  For the ongoing effort of a fixer producing
> > > one or two fixes a release the use of 'treewide:' does not seem
> > > appropriate.
> > >
> > > It would be better if the normal prefix was used.  Unfortunately normal is
> > > not consistent across the tree.
> > >
> > > So I am looking for comments for adding a new tag to the MAINTAINERS file
> > >
> > >   D: Commit subsystem prefix
> > >
> > > ex/ for FPGA DFL DRIVERS
> > >
> > >   D: fpga: dfl:
> > I'm all for it.  Good luck with the effort.  It's not completely trivial.
> >
> > From a decade ago:
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1289919077.28741.50.camel@Joe-Laptop/
> >
> > (and that thread started with extra semicolon patches too)
>
> Reading the history, how about this.
>
> get_maintainer.pl outputs a single prefix, if multiple files have the
> same prefix it works, if they don't its an error.
>
> Another script 'commit_one_file.sh' does the call to get_mainainter.pl
> to get the prefix and be called by run-clang-tools.py to get the fixer
> specific message.

It's not whether the script used is get_maintainer or any other script,
the question is really if the MAINTAINERS file is the appropriate place
to store per-subsystem patch specific prefixes.

It is.

Then the question should be how are the forms described and what is the
inheritance priority.  My preference would be to have a default of
inherit the parent base and add basename(subsystem dirname).

Commit history seems to have standardized on using colons as the separator
between the commit prefix and the subject.

A good mechanism to explore how various subsystems have uses prefixes in
the past might be something like:

$ git log --no-merges --pretty='%s' -<commit_count> <subsystem_path> | \
  perl -n -e 'print substr($_, 0, rindex($_, ":") + 1) . "\n";' | \
  sort | uniq -c | sort -rn

Using 10000 for commit_count and drivers/scsi for subsystem_path, the
top 40 entries are below:

About 1% don't have a colon, and there is no real consistency even
within individual drivers below scsi.  For instance, qla2xxx:

     1      814 scsi: qla2xxx:
     2      691 scsi: lpfc:
     3      389 scsi: hisi_sas:
     4      354 scsi: ufs: