Re: Xen on RP4

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 11:59:10PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 7:36 PM Elliott Mitchell <ehem+xen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, I've now got everything together for a "proper" Debian Raspberry PI
> > installation.  Apparently since 5.2 (perhaps earlier, but 5.2 is
> > confirmed), Debian's kernel source packages have had their Raspberry PI
> > device-trees garbled.  I do have full untouched Linux kernel source
> > handy, but I tend to stick with the distribution until that proves
> > untenable.
>
> Yup. Same here. I started with upstream kernel, wasted a lot of time,
> threw in the towel
> and imported all of the RPi Foundation patches wholesale :-(

Any chance you could send e-mail to 939633@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and state you
have also observed corrupt device-trees with Debian's kernel somewhere
in the >=5.2 range?

I'm a half step away from marking that bug "critical" (breaks most/all
Raspberry PI variants, this breaks Debian's Xen build).  I just tend to
be reluctant...

I can almost believe Intel/Tianocore are trying to create a FUD situation
for device-trees in order to push UEFI.  Debian has been cited by the
Tianocore folks as an example of a Linux distribution which can readily
install without modification.  Just a small push to kill device-trees.

Presently I have no evidence of this, just a niggling suspicion.

 \BS (    |         ehem+sigmsg@xxxxxxx  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445