Re: Linux 5.11-rc6 compile error

On 2/3/21 1:06 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 11:58 AM Shuah Khan <skhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ld: arch/x86/built-in.a: member arch/x86/kernel/pci-swiotlb.o in archive
is not an object
make: *** [Makefile:1170: vmlinux] Error 1

That honestly sounds like something went wrong earlier - things like
doing a system upgrade in the middle of the build, or perhaps running
out of disk space or similar.

I've not seen any other reports of the same, and google doesn't find
anything like that either.

Does it keep happening if you do a "git clean -dqfx" to make sure you
have no old corrupt object files sound and re-do the whole build?

             Linus

My bad. I was playing with two test systems this morning and totally
lost track. All is well after a "make clean" and make.

Sorry for the noise.

thanks,
-- Shuah