Re: Linux DomU freezes and dies under heavy memory shuffling

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 7:44 PM Elliott Mitchell <ehem+xen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 07:06:25PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> > I'm slightly confused about this patch -- it seems to me that it needs
> > to be applied to the guest kernel, correct?
> >
> > If that's the case -- the challenge I have is that I need to re-build
> > the Canonical (Ubuntu) distro kernel with this patch -- this seems
> > a bit daunting at first (I mean -- I'm pretty good at rebuilding kernels
> > I just never do it with the vendor ones ;-)).
> >
> > So... if there's anyone here who has any suggestions on how to do that
> > -- I'd appreciate pointers.
>
> Generally Debian-derivatives ship the kernel source they use as packages
> named "linux-source-<major>.<minor>" (guessing you need
> linux-source-5.4?).  They ship their configurations as packages
> "linux-config-<major>.<minor>", but they also ship their configuration
> with their kernels as /boot/config-<version>.
>
> If you're trying to create a proper packaged kernel, the Linux kernel
> Make target "bindeb-pkg" will create an appropriate .deb file.

Right -- but that's not what distro builders use, right? I mean they do
the whole sdeb -> deb business.

In fact, to stay as faithful as possible -- I'd love to:
   1. unpack SDEB
   2. add a single patch to the set of sources
   3. repack SDEB back
   4. do whatever it is they do to go SDEB -> DEB

Thanks,
Roman.