Re: xenstore utils dropped support for -s in 4.15

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:17:38 +0200
Juergen Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11.04.21 09:17, Henrik Riomar wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 07:34:16 +0200
> > Juergen Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The -s served exactly no purpose.
> >
> > yes its used by dists to check that the socket is actually accessible
> > (without falling back to
> > direct access to /dev/xen/xenbus).
>
> There are Xen configurations where the socket is never accessible,
> as it is not existing.

sure, but this is in the start script for the daemon it self we use
"xenstore-read -s /"
so it will also work if that script is used in a domain only running xenstored,
right?

> >> It was meant to force socket usage. A socket will be used anyway in
> >> case xenstored is running in dom0, so specifying -s won't change
> >> anything in this case.
> >
> > yes reverting the to commits above and using -s, brings back the original
> > behavior, returning
> > with failure if the socket is not there.
>
> And returning failure when Xenstore is running fine, but not in dom0.

sure, -s means access via local socket so yes.

> > There are two issues here I think:
> >   1. dists actually use -s to check if the daemon is up (and been doing
> > this for a long time)
>
> This should be changed, as it is based on wrong assumptions.

changed to what exactly? check for a pid file? that also only works locally
just like
-s.

> >   2. Reads of /dev/xen/xenbus (via xenstore-read -s /), blocks for ever in
> > 4.15
>
> So you are basically saying that you'd like to have a test "is Xenstore
> running", and this test should work with the "-s" flag.
>
> I can look into that, but reverting the "access via socket" removal flag
> is not the way to go.

Ok, so what should dists packaging 4.15 do? can the release notices be updated
with this?

Thanks,
 Henrik