Re: Enabling hypervisor agnosticism for VirtIO backends

[ resending message to ensure delivery to the CCd mailing lists post-subscription ]

Apologies for being late to this thread, but I hope to be able to contribute to
this discussion in a meaningful way. I am grateful for the level of interest in
this topic. I would like to draw your attention to Argo as a suitable
technology for development of VirtIO's hypervisor-agnostic interfaces.

* Argo is an interdomain communication mechanism in Xen (on x86 and Arm) that
  can send and receive hypervisor-mediated notifications and messages between
  domains (VMs). [1] The hypervisor can enforce Mandatory Access Control over
  all communication between domains. It is derived from the earlier v4v, which
  has been deployed on millions of machines with the HP/Bromium uXen hypervisor
  and with OpenXT.

* Argo has a simple interface with a small number of operations that was
  designed for ease of integration into OS primitives on both Linux (sockets)
  and Windows (ReadFile/WriteFile) [2].
    - A unikernel example of using it has also been developed for XTF. [3]

* There has been recent discussion and support in the Xen community for making
  revisions to the Argo interface to make it hypervisor-agnostic, and support
  implementations of Argo on other hypervisors. This will enable a single
  interface for an OS kernel binary to use for inter-VM communication that will
  work on multiple hypervisors -- this applies equally to both backends and
  frontend implementations. [4]

* Here are the design documents for building VirtIO-over-Argo, to support a
  hypervisor-agnostic frontend VirtIO transport driver using Argo.

The Development Plan to build VirtIO virtual device support over Argo transport:
https://openxt.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DC/pages/1696169985/VirtIO-Argo+Development+Phase+1

A design for using VirtIO over Argo, describing how VirtIO data structures
and communication is handled over the Argo transport:
https://openxt.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DC/pages/1348763698/VirtIO+Argo

Diagram (from the above document) showing how VirtIO rings are synchronized
between domains without using shared memory:
https://openxt.atlassian.net/46e1c93b-2b87-4cb2-951e-abd4377a1194#media-blob-url="">

Please note that the above design documents show that the existing VirtIO
device drivers, and both vring and virtqueue data structures can be preserved
while interdomain communication can be performed with no shared memory required
for most drivers; (the exceptions where further design is required are those
such as virtual framebuffer devices where shared memory regions are intentionally
added to the communication structure beyond the vrings and virtqueues).

An analysis of VirtIO and Argo, informing the design:
https://openxt.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DC/pages/1333428225/Analysis+of+Argo+as+a+transport+medium+for+VirtIO

* Argo can be used for a communication path for configuration between the backend
  and the toolstack, avoiding the need for a dependency on XenStore, which is an
  advantage for any hypervisor-agnostic design. It is also amenable to a notification
  mechanism that is not based on Xen event channels.

* Argo does not use or require shared memory between VMs and provides an alternative
  to the use of foreign shared memory mappings. It avoids some of the complexities
  involved with using grants (eg. XSA-300).

* Argo supports Mandatory Access Control by the hypervisor, satisfying a common
  certification requirement.

* The Argo headers are BSD-licensed and the Xen hypervisor implementation is GPLv2 but
  accessible via the hypercall interface. The licensing should not present an obstacle
  to adoption of Argo in guest software or implementation by other hypervisors.

* Since the interface that Argo presents to a guest VM is similar to DMA, a VirtIO-Argo
  frontend transport driver should be able to operate with a physical VirtIO-enabled
  smart-NIC if the toolstack and an Argo-aware backend provide support.

The next Xen Community Call is next week and I would be happy to answer questions
about Argo and on this topic. I will also be following this thread.

Christopher
(Argo maintainer, Xen Community)

[1]
An introduction to Argo:
https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/xensummit19/92/Argo%20and%20HMX%20-%20OpenXT%20-%20Christopher%20Clark%20-%20Xen%20Summit%202019.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnC0Tg3jqJQ
Xen Wiki page for Argo:
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Argo:_Hypervisor-Mediated_Exchange_(HMX)_for_Xen

[2]
OpenXT Linux Argo driver and userspace library:
https://github.com/openxt/linux-xen-argo

Windows V4V at OpenXT wiki:
https://openxt.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DC/pages/14844007/V4V
Windows v4v driver source:
https://github.com/OpenXT/xc-windows/tree/master/xenv4v

HP/Bromium uXen V4V driver:
https://github.com/uxen-virt/uxen/tree/ascara/windows/uxenv4vlib

[3]
v2 of the Argo test unikernel for XTF:
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2021-01/msg02234.html

[4]
Argo HMX Transport for VirtIO meeting minutes:
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2021-02/msg01422.html

VirtIO-Argo Development wiki page:
https://openxt.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/DC/pages/1696169985/VirtIO-Argo+Development+Phase+1

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 5:11 AM Wei Chen <Wei.Chen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Akashi,

> [...]

It's a RFC discussion. We have tested this RFC patch internally.
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2021-07/msg01532.html