Re: Enabling hypervisor agnosticism for VirtIO backends

AKASHI Takahiro <takahiro.akashi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Alex,
>
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 01:53:34PM +0100, Alex Benn??e wrote:
>>
>> Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]

>> > There have been experiments with something kind of similar in KVM
>> > recently (see struct ioregionfd_cmd):
>> > https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/dad3d025bcf15ece11d9df0ff685e8ab0a4f2edd.1613828727.git.eafanasova@xxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> Reading the cover letter was very useful in showing how this provides a
>> separate channel for signalling IO events to userspace instead of using
>> the normal type-2 vmexit type event. I wonder how deeply tied the
>> userspace facing side of this is to KVM? Could it provide a common FD
>> type interface to IOREQ?
>
> Why do you stick to a "FD" type interface?

I mean most user space interfaces on POSIX start with a file descriptor
and the usual read/write semantics or a series of ioctls.

>> As I understand IOREQ this is currently a direct communication between
>> userspace and the hypervisor using the existing Xen message bus. My
>
> With IOREQ server, IO event occurrences are notified to BE via Xen's event
> channel, while the actual contexts of IO events (see struct ioreq in ioreq.h)
> are put in a queue on a single shared memory page which is to be assigned
> beforehand with xenforeignmemory_map_resource hypervisor call.

If we abstracted the IOREQ via the kernel interface you would probably
just want to put the ioreq structure on a queue rather than expose the
shared page to userspace.

>> worry would be that by adding knowledge of what the underlying
>> hypervisor is we'd end up with excess complexity in the kernel. For one
>> thing we certainly wouldn't want an API version dependency on the kernel
>> to understand which version of the Xen hypervisor it was running on.
>
> That's exactly what virtio-proxy in my proposal[1] does; All the hypervisor-
> specific details of IO event handlings are contained in virtio-proxy
> and virtio BE will communicate with virtio-proxy through a virtqueue
> (yes, virtio-proxy is seen as yet another virtio device on BE) and will
> get IO event-related *RPC* callbacks, either MMIO read or write, from
> virtio-proxy.
>
> See page 8 (protocol flow) and 10 (interfaces) in [1].

There are two areas of concern with the proxy approach at the moment.
The first is how the bootstrap of the virtio-proxy channel happens and
the second is how many context switches are involved in a transaction.
Of course with all things there is a trade off. Things involving the
very tightest latency would probably opt for a bare metal backend which
I think would imply hypervisor knowledge in the backend binary.

--
Alex Bennée