Re: Proposal for Porting Xen to Armv8-R64 - DraftA

Hi Wei,

On 02/03/2022 06:43, Wei Chen wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Julien Grall <julien@xxxxxxx>
Sent: 2022年3月1日 21:17
To: Wei Chen <Wei.Chen@xxxxxxx>; Stefano Stabellini
<sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Bertrand Marquis
<Bertrand.Marquis@xxxxxxx>; Penny Zheng <Penny.Zheng@xxxxxxx>; Henry Wang
<Henry.Wang@xxxxxxx>; nd <nd@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Proposal for Porting Xen to Armv8-R64 - DraftA

On 01/03/2022 06:29, Wei Chen wrote:
Hi Julien,

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: Julien Grall <julien@xxxxxxx>
Sent: 2022年2月26日 4:12
To: Wei Chen <Wei.Chen@xxxxxxx>; Stefano Stabellini
<sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Bertrand Marquis
<Bertrand.Marquis@xxxxxxx>; Penny Zheng <Penny.Zheng@xxxxxxx>; Henry
Wang
<Henry.Wang@xxxxxxx>; nd <nd@xxxxxxx>

Hi Wei,

On 25/02/2022 10:48, Wei Chen wrote:
       Armv8-R64 can support max to 256 MPU regions. But that's just
theoretical.
       So we don't want to define `pr_t mpu_regions[256]`, this is a
memory
waste
       in most of time. So we decided to let the user specify through
Kconfig
       option. `CONFIG_ARM_MPU_EL1_PROTECTION_REGIONS` default value
can
be
`32`,
       it's a typical implementation on Armv8-R64. Users will
recompile
Xen
when
       their platform changes. So when the MPU changes, respecifying
the
MPU
       protection regions number will not cause additional problems.

I wonder if we could probe the number of MPU regions at runtime and
dynamically allocate the memory needed to store them in arch_vcpu.

We have considered to used a pr_t mpu_regions[0] in arch_vcpu. But it
seems
we will encounter some static allocated arch_vcpu problems and sizeof
issue.

Does it need to be embedded in arch_vcpu? If not, then we could
allocate
memory outside and add a pointer in arch_vcpu.

We had thought to use a pointer in arch_vcpu instead of embedding
mpu_regions
into arch_vcpu. But we noticed that arch_vcpu has a __cacheline_aligned
attribute, this may be because of arch_vcpu will be used very frequently
in some critical path. So if we use the pointer for mpu_regions, may
cause
some cache miss in these critical path, for example, in context_swtich.

  From my understanding, the idea behind ``cacheline_aligned`` is to
avoid the struct vcpu to be shared with other datastructure. Otherwise
you may end up to have two pCPUs to frequently write the same cacheline
which is not ideal.

arch_vcpu should embbed anything that will be accessed often (e.g.
entry/exit) to certain point. For instance, not everything related to
the vGIC are embbed in the vCPU/Domain structure.

I am a bit split regarding the mpu_regions. If they are mainly used in
the context_switch() then I would argue this is a premature optimization
because the scheduling decision is probably going to take a lot more
time than the context switch itself.

mpu_regions in arch_vcpu are used to save guest's EL1 MPU context. So, yes,
they are mainly used in context_switch. In terms of the number of registers,
it will save/restore more work than the original V8A. And on V8R we also need
to keep most of the original V8A save/restore work. So it will take longer
than the original V8A context_switch. And I think this is due to architecture's
difference. So it's impossible for us not to save/restore EL1 MPU region
registers in context_switch. And we have done some optimization for EL1 MPU
save/restore:
1. Assembly code for EL1 MPU context_switch

This discussion reminds me when KVM decided to rewrite their context switch from assembly to C. The outcome was the compiler is able to do a better job than us when it comes to optimizing.

With a C version, we could also share the save/restore code with 32-bit and it is easier to read/maintain.

So I would suggest to run some numbers to check if it really worth implementing the MPU save/restore in assembly.

2. Use real MPU regions number instead of CONFIG_ARM_MPU_EL1_PROTECTION_REGIONS
    in context_switch. CONFIG_ARM_MPU_EL1_PROTECTION_REGIONS is defined the Max
    supported EL1 MPU regions for this Xen image. All platforms that implement
    EL1 MPU regions in this range can work well with this Xen Image. But if the
    implemented EL1 MPU region number exceeds
CONFIG_ARM_MPU_EL1_PROTECTION_REGIONS,
    this Xen image could not work well on this platform.

This sounds similar to the GICv3. The number of LRs depends on the hardware. See how we dealt with it in gicv3_save_lrs().

Note that for the P2M we already have that indirection because it is
embbed in the struct domain.

It's different with V8A P2M case. In V8A context_switch we just need to
save/restore VTTBR, we don't need to do P2M table walk. But on V8R, we
need to access valid mpu_regions for save/restore.

The save/restore for the P2M is a bit more complicated than simply save/restore the VTTBR. But yes, I agree the code for the MPU will likely be more complicated.

This raises one question, why is the MPUs regions will be per-vCPU
rather per domain?

Because there is a EL1 MPU component for each pCPU. We can't assume guest
to use the same EL1 MPU configuration for all vCPU.

Ah. Sorry, I thought you were referring to whatever Xen will use to prevent the guest accessing outside of its designated region.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall