Re: PROPOSAL: Delete www-archive.xenproject.org

On May 12, 2022, at 11:55 AM, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Apr 14, 2022, at 4:49 PM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I’m pretty sure www-archive.xenproject.org is at least N-2 for websites;
>> last updated nearly 9 years ago.  As far as I can tell there’s nothing
>> terribly interesting stored on the site itself.  I’m going to pursue
>> deleting it within 4 weeks unless someone objects.
>
> I have instructed Credativ to take the site down, but keep it in a tarball
> should we ever need to recover anything from it.

Is all of the historical content from www-archive replicated on the current
site? That content was indexed by search engines and linked from other parts of
the web. Are the existing links going to break, or be redirected?

Hosting static content is essentially free, e.g. the entire site could be
hosted on GH Pages. Is there a cost to keeping the current site online? How
large are the uncompressed HTML files and images? We don't delete historical
mailing list archives, why delete historical web site archives?

While on the topic of historical content, do we have a self-hosted mirror of
slides/videos from from SlideShare, Vimeo and YouTube? More than one publisher
has found their content deleted due to policy changes. It would be prudent to
have our own backups.

Rich