Re: “Backend has not unmapped grant” errors

On 24.08.22 02:20, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 09:48:57AM +0200, Juergen Gross wrote:
On 23.08.22 09:40, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
I recently had a VM’s /dev/xvdb stop working with a “backend has not
unmapped grant” error.  Since /dev/xvdb was the VM’s private volume,
that rendered the VM effectively useless.  I had to kill it with
qvm-kill.

The backend of /dev/xvdb is dom0, so a malicious backend is clearly not
the cause of this.  I believe the actual cause is a race condition, such
as the following:

1. GUI agent in VM allocates grant X.
2. GUI agent tells GUI daemon in dom0 to map X.
3. GUI agent frees grant X.
4. blkfront allocates grant X and passes it to dom0.
5. dom0’s blkback maps grant X.
6. blkback unmaps grant X.
7. GUI daemon maps grant X.
8. blkfront tries to revoke access to grant X and fails.  Disaster
     ensues.

What could be done to prevent this race?  Right now all of the
approaches I can think of are horribly backwards-incompatible.  They
require replacing grant IDs with some sort of handle, and requiring
userspace to pass these handles to ioctls.  It is also possible that
netfront and blkfront could race against each other in a way that causes
this, though I suspect that race would be much harder to trigger.

This has happened more than once so it is not a fluke due to e.g. cosmic
rays or other random bit-flips.

Marek, do you have any suggestions?

To me that sounds like the interface of the GUI is the culprit.

The GUI agent in the guest should only free a grant, if it got a message
from the backend that it can do so. Just assuming to be able to free it
because it isn't in use currently is the broken assumption here.

FWIW, I hit this issue twice already in this week CI run, while it never
happened before. The difference compared to previous run is Linux
5.15.57 vs 5.15.61. The latter reports persistent grants disabled.

I think this additional bug is just triggering the race in the GUI
interface more easily, as blkfront will allocate new grants with a
much higher frequency.

So fixing the persistent grant issue will just paper over the real
issue.

Juergen