Re: Proposal for virtual IOMMU binding b/w vIOMMU and passthrough devices

On 26/10/2022 14:17, Rahul Singh wrote:
Hi All,

Hi Rahul,

At Arm, we started to implement the POC to support 2 levels of page
tables/nested translation in SMMUv3.
To support nested translation for guest OS Xen needs to expose the virtual
IOMMU. If we passthrough the
device to the guest that is behind an IOMMU and virtual IOMMU is enabled for
the guest there is a need to
add IOMMU binding for the device in the passthrough node as per [1]. This email
is to get an agreement on
how to add the IOMMU binding for guest OS.

Before I will explain how to add the IOMMU binding let me give a brief overview
of how we will add support for virtual
IOMMU on Arm. In order to implement virtual IOMMU Xen need SMMUv3 Nested
translation support. SMMUv3 hardware
supports two stages of translation. Each stage of translation can be
independently enabled. An incoming address is logically
translated from VA to IPA in stage 1, then the IPA is input to stage 2 which
translates the IPA to the output PA. Stage 1 is
intended to be used by a software entity( Guest OS) to provide isolation or
translation to buffers within the entity, for example,
DMA isolation within an OS. Stage 2 is intended to be available in systems
supporting the Virtualization Extensions and is
intended to virtualize device DMA to guest VM address spaces. When both stage 1
and stage 2 are enabled, the translation
configuration is called nesting.

Stage 1 translation support is required to provide isolation between different
devices within the guest OS. XEN already supports
Stage 2 translation but there is no support for Stage 1 translation for guests.
We will add support for guests to configure
the Stage 1 transition via virtual IOMMU. XEN will emulate the SMMU hardware
and exposes the virtual SMMU to the guest.
Guest can use the native SMMU driver to configure the stage 1 translation. When
the guest configures the SMMU for Stage 1,
XEN will trap the access and configure the hardware accordingly.

Now back to the question of how we can add the IOMMU binding between the
virtual IOMMU and the master devices so that
guests can configure the IOMMU correctly. The solution that I am suggesting is
as below:

For dom0, while handling the DT node(handle_node()) Xen will replace the phandle in the
"iommus" property with the virtual
IOMMU node phandle.
Below, you said that each IOMMUs may have a different ID space. So shouldn't we expose one vIOMMU per pIOMMU? If not, how do you expect the user to specify the mapping?

For domU guests, when passthrough the device to the guest as per [2],  add the
below property in the partial device tree
node that is required to describe the generic device tree binding for IOMMUs
and their master(s)

"iommus = < &magic_phandle 0xvMasterID>
        • magic_phandle will be the phandle ( vIOMMU phandle in xl)  that will
be documented so that the user can set that in partial DT node (0xfdea).

Does this mean only one IOMMU will be supported in the guest?

        • vMasterID will be the virtual master ID that the user will provide.

The partial device tree will look like this:
/dts-v1/;
/ {
     /* #*cells are here to keep DTC happy */
     #address-cells = <2>;
     #size-cells = <2>;
aliases {
         net = &mac0;
     };
passthrough {
         compatible = "simple-bus";
         ranges;
         #address-cells = <2>;
         #size-cells = <2>;
         mac0: ethernet@10000000 {
             compatible = "calxeda,hb-xgmac";
             reg = <0 0x10000000 0 0x1000>;
             interrupts = <0 80 4  0 81 4  0 82 4>;
            iommus = <0xfdea 0x01>;
         };
     };
};
In xl.cfg we need to define a new option to inform Xen about vMasterId to pMasterId mapping and to which IOMMU device this
the master device is connected so that Xen can configure the right IOMMU. This
is required if the system has devices that have
the same master ID but behind a different IOMMU.

In xl.cfg, we already pass the device-tree node path to passthrough. So Xen should already have all the information about the IOMMU and Master-ID. So it doesn't seem necessary for Device-Tree.

For ACPI, I would have expected the information to be found in the IOREQ.

So can you add more context why this is necessary for everyone?

iommu_devid_map = [ “PMASTER_ID[@VMASTER_ID],IOMMU_BASE_ADDRESS” , “PMASTER_ID[@VMASTER_ID],IOMMU_BASE_ADDRESS”]

        • PMASTER_ID is the physical master ID of the device from the physical
DT.
        • VMASTER_ID is the virtual master Id that the user will configure in
the partial device tree.
        • IOMMU_BASE_ADDRESS is the base address of the physical IOMMU device
to which this device is connected.

Below you give an example for Platform device. How would that fit in the context of PCI passthrough?

Example: Let's say the user wants to assign the below physical device in DT to the guest. iommu@4f000000 {
                 compatible = "arm,smmu-v3";
                interrupts = <0x00 0xe4 0xf04>;
                 interrupt-parent = <0x01>;
                 #iommu-cells = <0x01>;
                 interrupt-names = "combined";
                 reg = <0x00 0x4f000000 0x00 0x40000>;
                 phandle = <0xfdeb>;
                 name = "iommu";
};

So I guess this node will be written by Xen. How will you the case where there are extra property to added (e.g. dma-coherent)?

test@10000000 {
        compatible = "viommu-test”;
        iommus = <0xfdeb 0x10>;

I am a bit confused. Here you use 0xfdeb for the phandle but below...

        interrupts = <0x00 0xff 0x04>;
        reg = <0x00 0x10000000 0x00 0x1000>;
        name = "viommu-test";
};
The partial Device tree node will be like this: / {
     /* #*cells are here to keep DTC happy */
     #address-cells = <2>;
     #size-cells = <2>;
passthrough {
         compatible = "simple-bus";
         ranges;
         #address-cells = <2>;
         #size-cells = <2>;

        test@10000000 {
                compatible = "viommu-test";
                reg = <0 0x10000000 0 0x1000>;
                interrupts = <0 80 4  0 81 4  0 82 4>;
                iommus = <0xfdea 0x01>;

... you use 0xfdea. Does this mean 'xl' will rewrite the phandle?

         };
     };
};
iommu_devid_map = [ “0x10@0x01,0x4f000000”]
        • 0x10 is the real physical master id from the physical DT.
        • 0x01 is the virtual master Id that the user defines as a partial
device tree.
        • 0x4f000000 is the base address of the IOMMU device.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall