Re: Feedback for postponing the 4.17 release to a week later

On 28.10.2022 10:57, Julien Grall wrote:
> On 28/10/2022 05:43, Henry Wang wrote:
>> Since there will be a batch of XSAs released on Nov. 1 [1] and the original
>> date for
>> the 4.17 release was supposed to be Nov. 2, I am thinking to postpone the
>> 4.17
>> release to a week later (Nov. 11) to give a little bit longer time so that:
>>
>> - The security team won't do anything in rush.
>> - We can have more feedback after merging these XSAs.
>> - Include more release-relevant bugfixes.
>>
>> May I please have some feedback on this proposal? Thanks very much!
>
> Somewhat related. When should we branch for the release and set
> CONFIG_DEBUG=n?
>
> I think we would at least need a RC with CONFIG_DEBUG=n but IIUC we
> usually do it at a point where the tree is nearly frozen.
>

> AFAICT, there are still a few things in flight (including fix for
> XSA-409). So I am not sure we are in position yet to branch. Any opinions?

+1 to it being too early to branch. I would suggest that the XSA batch
should have gone in first and release blockers should have been dealt
with (unless for some it is clear that they're going to be unintrusive),
to limit what needs applying to staging and the new branch.

Jan