Re: Refactoring of a possibly unsafe pattern for variable initialization via function calls

On 19/06/2023 09:31, Luca Fancellu wrote:

On 19 Jun 2023, at 09:23, Julien Grall <julien@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19/06/2023 09:18, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 16.06.2023 22:56, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jun 2023, Nicola Vetrini wrote:
On 16/06/23 09:19, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 15.06.2023 18:39, nicola wrote:
while investigating possible patches regarding Mandatory Rule 9.1, I
found the following pattern, that is likely to results in a lot possible
positives from many (all) static analysis tools for this rule.

This is the current status (taken from `xen/common/device_tree.c:135')

const struct dt_property *dt_find_property(const struct dt_device_node
*np,
                                              const char *name, u32 *lenp)
{
       const struct dt_property *pp;

       if ( !np )
           return NULL;

       for ( pp = np->properties; pp; pp = pp->next )
       {
           if ( dt_prop_cmp(pp->name, name) == 0 )
           {
               if ( lenp )
                   *lenp = pp->length;
               break;
           }
       }

       return pp;
}

It's very hard to detect that the pointee is always written whenever a
non-NULL pointer for `lenp' is supplied, and it can safely be read in
the callee, so a sound analysis will err on the cautious side.

I'm having trouble seeing why this is hard to recognize: The loop can
only be exited two ways: pp == NULL or with *lenp written.

For rule 9.1 I'd rather expect the scanning tool (and often the compiler)
to get into trouble with the NULL return value case, and *lenp not being
written yet apparently consumed in the caller. Then, however, ...

You're right, I made a mistake, thank you for finding it.
I meant to write on `*lenp' in all execution paths.
Please, take a look at this revised version:

const struct dt_property *dt_find_property(const struct dt_device_node *np,
                                            const char *name, u32 *lenp)
{
     u32 len = 0;
     const struct dt_property *pp = NULL;

     if ( np )
     {
         for ( pp = np->properties; pp; pp = pp->next )
         {
             if ( dt_prop_cmp(pp->name, name) == 0 )
             {
                 len = pp->length;
                 break;
             }
         }
     }

     if ( lenp )
         *lenp = len;
     return pp;
}

Nesting more will make the code less readable and also cause other code
quality metrics to deteriorate (cyclomatic complexity).

Would the below work?

const struct dt_property *dt_find_property(const struct dt_device_node *np,
                                            const char *name, u32 *lenp)
{
     u32 len = 0;
     const struct dt_property *pp = NULL;

     if ( !np )
         return NULL
That's what we started from, but leaving *lenp not written to. How
about ...
     for ( pp = np->properties; pp; pp = pp->next )
     for ( pp = np ? np->properties : NULL; pp; pp = pp->next ) > > ?

I would be OK with that. Maybe with an extra set of parentheses around ' np ?
... : NULL' just to make visually easier to parse.

Agree, and for MISRA, we should use a boolean expression as condition, even if
I know that we would like to deviate from that,
The code will even be more difficult to read. So if we plan to deviate, then I don't want us to use MISRA-compliant boolean expression here.

which I dislike.

What do you dislike?

Cheers,

--