Re: Address MISRA C:2012 Rule 8.4

Upon further examination, I identified the following patterns:

1. Functions defined in .c called only from asm code (e.g., the
already mentioned __start_xen)
2. Functions/variables declared in a .h, defined in a .c that does not
include the .h with the declaration
(e.g., 'fill_console_start_info' is defined in 'xen/drivers/vga.c',
declared in 'xen/include/xen/console.h' which is not visible when
compiling the .c).
3. Variables that are either extern or not, such as 'acpi_gbl_FADT' in
'xen/include/acpi/acglobal.h', depending on
   DEFINE_ACPI_GLOBALS

Below are the proposed resolution strategies:

1. I would advise to add the declaration in the relative .h, to
support automatic consistency checks with the
   implementation and a quick reference when touching the asm.
2. To comply with the rule, the header with the declaration should be
included. Also note that there are some
   corner cases, such as 'get_sec', which is used in 'cper.h' without
including 'time.h' (which should gain a
   declaration for it).
3. One possible resolution pattern is including 'acglobal.h' twice
(either directly or indirectly trough acpi.h, if
   the latter does not cause other issues) like so:

   (assuming DEFINE_ACPI_GLOBALS is undefined here)
   #include "acglobal.h"
   #define DEFINE_ACPI_GLOBALS
   #include  "acglobal.h"

  this way, the rule is followed properly, though it's not the
prettiest pattern and also clashes with the objectives
  of D4.10 ("Precautions shall be taken in order to prevent the
contents of a header file being included
  more than once"), but then a motivated exception is allowed there.

One further question is whether functions under 'xen/common/coverage/gcov_base.c' should gain a declaration in 'gcov.h' or not, as they exist just for the purpose of being referenced by autogenerated profiling code. I see no reason why they shouldn't, but they can also be safely deviated,
since they are not called by Xen code.

--
Nicola Vetrini, BSc
Software Engineer, BUGSENG srl (https://bugseng.com)