Re: QEMU features useful for Xen development?

Hi Alex,

Thanks for reaching out. QEMU is an important development tool for the
Xen community and we are using QEMU as part of our upstream gitlab-ci
testing, see automation/scripts/qemu-*.

As Xen is gaining R52 and R82 support, it would be great to be able to
use QEMU for development and testing there as well, but I don't think
QEMU can emulate EL2 properly for the Cortex-R architecture. We would
need EL2 support in the GIC/timer for R52/R82 as well.

On Cortex-As, in addition to a PCI root complex and an arbitrary PCI
device, SMMUv3 emulation (both stages) and GICv3 ITS are needed to be
able to test PCI Passthrough. However, if I recall correctly SMMUv3
emulation in QEMU might not be complete enough to enable us to use it.

For Virtio, using QEMU on target (not develpment/testing, but
production), it would greatly help if we could improve the build system
to only build what is strictly necessary for the xenpvh machine to run.

Cheers,

Stefano