RE: [EXT] Re: xen arm64 low power sleep support

On Wed, 6 Sep 2023, Anthony Chan wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Sep 2023, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> > > What if using "suspend to idle" is preventing a WFI/PSCI_suspend?
> > > Which is what I believe I'm currently seeing in my setup.  In
> > > kernel/power/suspend.c, suspend_devices_and_enter(), it gets into
> > > the this s2idle_loop and upon resuming from idle, it jumps past the
> > > point where I believe a WFI/PSCI_suspend can happen.
> > > if (state == PM_SUSPEND_TO_IDLE) {
> > >                 s2idle_loop();
> > >                 goto Platform_wake;
> > > }
> >
> > If that is the case, then it looks like a Linux bug. Maybe something
> > along these lines?
> >
> > https://can01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flore
> > .k%2F&data=05%7C01%7Canthonychan%40nureva.com%7Ccf5e956c6a4d42b1460a08
> > dbaf13e021%7C5aeb77fa643b473eaee0cb54a11ccba3%7C1%7C0%7C63829627212319
> > 7144%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBT
> > iI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=lDfILPgJQQQPJOL44%2BcU
> > %2BN2RFOs8L6F4AE11kvOhOQE%3D&reserved=0
> > ernel.org%2Flinux-arm-
> > kernel%2F4665489.GXAFRqVoOG%40kreacher%2FT%2F%23m6edda92d0b5
> > dc09f8e05e7d6db3807501b7249f4&data=05%7C01%7Canthonychan%40n
> > ureva.com%7C144641906bef48b9180f08dbae7bc1d8%7C5aeb77fa643b47
> > 3eaee0cb54a11ccba3%7C1%7C0%7C638295618800415028%7CUnknown
> > %7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1ha
> > WwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=%2Fv%2FHpI1ix3yhDJ
> > 75oejWzDfUqB8SqOQzkU3clJzMOtw%3D&reserved=0
>
> Thanks, I've tried patches that stemmed from that discussion but
> unfortunately,
> doesn't resolve the issue.  In fact, the s2idle_loop branch might not be the
> problem at all.  I experimented with Xen to allow the 'idle-states' into the
> FDT and prevented xen_guest_init on Linux from disabling the 'cpuidle' driver
> (arch/arm/xen/enlighten.c).  When I trigger a suspend, I can see now another
> thread (believe it's the idle thread) call into
> drivers/firmware/psci/psci.c:__psci_cpu_suspend and then the Xen counterpart
> at
> xen/arch/arm/vpsci.c:do_psci_0_2_cpu_suspend.

OK but remember that Xen is not implementing do_psci_0_2_cpu_suspend
correctly at the moment. Either we need to fix the Xen implementation,
or we need to configure Linux so that it calls WFI instead of
__psci_cpu_suspend.

As a test, can you try to apply the attached patch to Xen as a tenative
fix?  Or you could change
drivers/firmware/psci/psci.c:__psci_cpu_suspend to call WFI instead of
the PSCI operation (making sure to go to the entry_point instead of
returning).

> The normal 'suspend' thread still goes into the s2idle_loop.

This is potentially a problem: if it is s2idle_loop causing the problem,
and one thread is still executing it, then we can still have a bug?