Re: Xen 4.18 release: Reminder about code freeze

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 10:35 AM Julien Grall <julien@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>
> On 25/09/2023 07:40, Henry Wang wrote:

> >> Could you further remind us about what is (not) permitted to go in during
> >> this time?
> >
> > Sorry, my bad. From code freeze, technically only bugfixes and release
> > Blockers can go in.
> >
> >> I also understand all commits need a release ack from now on?
> >
> > I think so.
> >
> >> (I'm sorry, we're doing releases only every once in a while, so it is
> >> always good for things to be re-spelled out, i.e. even if they haven't
> >> changed from earlier releases.)
> >
> > Actually, thanks for asking! For MISRA work...
> >

> >> This, for example, would then likely mean
> >> that all Misra work now needs queuing for after the tree re-opens ...
> >
> > …I also thought about this, to be honest I am tempted to loose the control
> > or at least offer some flexibility on this specific part, as normally MISRA
> > related changes are harmless and actually harden the code. I am wondering
> > if there are any objections from others…
> >
> > Committers, would you mind sharing your opinion on this one? Thanks!
>
> I am split. On one hand, I agree they low risk and would be good to have
> them. But on the other hand, they tend to be invasive and may interfere
> with any bug we need to fix during the hardening period.

*Theoretically* MISRA patches should have no behavioral side effects;
but it's quite possible that they will. I'd be in favor of a more
strict view, that they should all go on a separate branch (or simply
be reviewed in-principle and re-submitted after we branch) now that
the feature freeze is done.

That's my recommendation, but ultimately I'd leave the decision to Henry.

 -George