Re: Xen 4.18 release: Reminder about code freeze

Hi George,

On 13/10/2023 17:06, George Dunlap wrote:
On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 4:56 PM Julien Grall <julien@xxxxxxx> wrote:
The initial patch that
introduced it didn't mention wanting to include dom0 specifically; on
the contrary it said:

"The extra notification is harmless for domains that don't require it."

... even if this is what the commit message says, we can't tell whether
someone would start to rely on it. I definitely see use-cases for it.

But I agree that the chance they are actualy used is slim as we didn't
document it.

If a dom0 kernel started relying on the behavior, it would be a bug,
since it would be incompatible with releases before 4.16.  So I think
the only risk here would be if some bit of a system's userspace
tooling relied on it; but I can't really see how that would come to
be.

If someone reports a bug, we can always add the reporting back, when
we're not under time pressure.

Your reasoning makes sense. I don't fully agree with it, but at the end
of the day we need to have a solution for dom0less guests... So if the
others agree with you, then I will disagree and commit.

That said, I think the commit message should explain why removing dom0
notification is ok.

Yes, absolutely.

Do you or Stefano want to pick it up?  I think you'd be able to test
it more thoroughly.  I can build-test it and send it to gitlab-CI, but
anything more will take a lot more setup.

I just asked you a similar question on Matrix. :) Stefano was able to reproduce the issue. So it would probably be best for him to pick up at least the testing part.

Stefano, do you have some cycle to send the patch as well? If not, I can do it.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall