Re: exynos-mixer 14450000.mixer: [drm:exynos_drm_register_dma] *ERROR* Device 14450000.mixer lacks support for IOMMU

On 10/31/2023 7:45 PM, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> Unfortunately there is no easy solution.
>
> Do you know the version of the SMMU available on the platform?

I am trying to discern, but I doubt we have v3 because we are
working on a very old chromebook from 2012, and I am finding
patches for smmv3 in Linux not starting until 2015. It is good to
know about this option, though, for future work we might do on newer
devices.

> If it is a SMMUv3 you can try to use the nested SMMU patch series to
> enable a virtual SMMU in Dom0:
> https://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=166991020831005
> That way, Xen can use the SMMU to protect VMs, and Dom0 can also use the
> SMMU for its own purposes at the same time.
>
> Alternatively, you can dig into the details of the exynos-drm driver to
> see what exactly is the dependency on the IOMMU framework in Linux and
> remove the dependency. Unfortunately none of us in this thread are
> expert on exynos-drm so it would be difficult to advise on how to do
> that. For example, I don't know how you could debug the x11 problem you
> described because I don't typically work with x11 or with the exynos. If
> there is an open source mailing list for exynos-drm development they
> might be able to advise on how to remove the IOMMU dependency there.

We have received this message from Marek Szyprowski of Samsung:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/7a71e348-f892-4fd4-8857-b72f35ab5134@xxxxxxxxxxx/

Marek recommends this patch to possibly help with this issue:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/bbc4d205d93f52ee18dfa7858d51489c0506547f

and also these kernel config settings:

On 10/31/2023 8:08 AM, Marek Szyprowski wrote:
> If not, then as a temporary workaround please disable
> CONFIG_DRM_EXYNOS_MIXER and CONFIG_DRM_EXYNOS_HDMI in your kernel config
> and check what will happen (You will lose the HDMI output, but maybe
> this won't a big issue).

Mario and I have preliminary evidence that applying both of Marek's
recommendations to the 6.1.59 kernel have improved the situation to
the point where now the Chromebook can run X.org on Xen. We are doing
further tests to see how Marek's patch and/or the kernel config settings
to disable the mixer and the HDMI affect the behavior of the GPU in dom0
on Xen.

> The final option, which is a gross hack, would be to let Dom0 use the
> IOMMU for its own gain. Xen doesn't use the IOMMU. If you do that you
> lose freedom from interference between the VMs and you cannot run driver
> domains or directly assign devices to DomUs. But if you are running a
> research project you might be OK with that. To get it to work, you need
> to hack Xen so that it remaps the IOMMU to Dom0 to let Dom0 program it
> directly. The attached patch (untested) would be a place to start. You
> also need to pass iommu=false to the Xen command line to prevent Xen
> from using the iommu itself.

I am interested to investigate if only the mixer and the HDMI is causing
the trouble. Based on what you are telling me about Xen not exposing the
IOMMU to dom0, I don't fully understand the original log messages I was
getting when I followed Julien's suggestion to find the symbols associated
with each address in the original message, and those seemed to indicate that
the exynos_drm device was using the IOMMU in dom0, but the mixer was not,
and the fact that they both were not using the IOMMU is what caused the
test to fail and Linux refuse to initialize the GPU on dom0, whereas on
bare metal, the logs indicated both the exynos mixer, which I think is a
sub device of the exynos_drm, and the exynos_drm, use the IOMMU on bare
metal.

I also found this patch which suggests if we can get the devices to work
we will be compromising the security and isolation between guests:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-arm-kernel/patch/20190301192017.39770-1-dianders@xxxxxxxxxxxx/

There are plenty of unanswered questions here in my mind,

Cheers,

Chuck