Thunderbolt (and other PCI hotplug) isolation

Hi,

A little background:
In Qubes OS we try to isolate external (especially hot pluggable)
devices as much as possible. For PCI devices, we do PCI passthrough to
dedicated domains (sys-net, sys-usb - mostly the latter). The goal is to
prevent unauthorized device to compromise the whole system, especially
using DMA (either initiated by a malicious device itself, or by a
compromised driver). For the discussion here, lets ignore what happens
before Xen starts.

The matter becomes much more complicated for hot plugged devices. I did
some test recently, enabled PCI hoplug in dom0 kernel (we have it
disabled by default), and this is what I got:
1. Hot plugged devices were properly detected, and dom0 told Xen about
them. In my case, it was two PCI bridges and an NVMe disk.
2. New devices were assigned to dom0 automatically.
3. New leaf device (the disk) can be assigned to a HVM domU and seems to work.
4. The bridges cannot be assigned to a domU.

Now, there are (at least) two problems with the above:
i) The second point above: new device automatically gain ability to DMA (at
least) into dom0 memory. I guess this should be easy-ish solvable for
leaf devices by assigning them to a quarantine domain by default. There
is an issue how to decide what devices to handle this way (for example,
what about external devices present during Xen/dom0 startup already),
but it feels like a problem solvable with some configuration. And of
course dom0 will need to be adjusted to not talk to such devices
automatically (via drivers blacklisting or similar approach). But for
the bridge devices, it's more complicated, basically the second point
below.

ii) The fourth point above: an external PCI device remains in dom0
(including being able to dom0 into dom0's memory) just because it happen
to have some specific bits in its config space set. When considering
malicious device, it doesn't even need to function as a bridge - it's
just enough to present itself as a bridge, wait for dom0's thunderbolt
driver to authorize the device so it gets assigned dom0's IOMMU context,
and boom. On the other hand, a bridge has privileged function by
design, for example IIUC takes part in discovering devices behind it
(which then needs to be properly registered in Xen, assigned IOMMU
context etc).

iii) Untested, but it feels like there is a lot of room for various race
conditions in the hot plug handling. For example, device must be
allowed any DMA only after its IOMMU context is properly configured. I
believe thunderbolt technically allows that (plain PCIe hotplug most
likely not), but my guess is it's not the case currently.

My question is mostly: what can be done about the "ii" problem above?

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki