Re: E820 memory allocation issue on Threadripper platforms

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 01:23:56AM -0500, Patrick Plenefisch wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 3:46 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the two logs that actually boooted (linuxoffset), I truncated them
> during pcie initialization, but they did go all the way to give me a login
> screen

I'm not seeing any Linux output on the provided logs, they just seem
to contain Xen output ...

> > > As someone who hasn't built a kernel in over a decade, should I figure
> > out
> > > how to do a kernel build with CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x2000000 and report
> > > back?
> >
> > That was largely a suggestion to perhaps allow you to gain some
> > workable setup. It would be of interest to us largely for completeness.
> >

> Typo aside, setting the boot to 2MiB works! It works better for PV, while
> PVH has some graphics card issues, namely that I have to interact over
> serial and dmesg has some concerning radeon errors

... and so the radeon error mentioned here seem to be missing.  IIRC
for radeon cards to work on PVH dom0 you will need an hypervisor with
the following commit:

https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=f69c5991595c92756860d038346569464c1b9ea1

(included in 4.18)

There where also some changes not long ago in order to propagate the
video console information from Xen into dom0, those are also included
in 4.18, but I don't recall in which Linux version they landed.

Anyway, would be good if you can provide the full Xen + Linux logs
when the radeon issue happens.

Regards, Roger.