Re: E820 memory allocation issue on Threadripper platforms

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 01:23:56AM -0500, Patrick Plenefisch wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 3:46 AM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 17.01.2024 07:12, Patrick Plenefisch wrote:
> > > As someone who hasn't built a kernel in over a decade, should I figure
> > out
> > > how to do a kernel build with CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x2000000 and report
> > > back?
> >
> > That was largely a suggestion to perhaps allow you to gain some
> > workable setup. It would be of interest to us largely for completeness.
> >

> Typo aside, setting the boot to 2MiB works! It works better for PV

Are there any downsides of running kernel with
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x200000? I can confirm it fixes the issue on
another affected system, and if there aren't any practical downsides,
I'm tempted to change it the default kernel in Qubes OS.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki