Re: Sketch of an idea for handling the "mixed workload" problem

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 11:54:14AM +0000, George Dunlap wrote:
> The other issue I have with this (and essentially where I got stuck
> developing credit2 in the first place) is testing: how do you ensure
> that it has the properties that you expect?

Audio is actually quite nice use case at this, since it's quite
sensitive for scheduling jitter. I think even a simple "PCI passthrough a
sound card and play/record something" should show results. Especially
you can measure how hard you can push the system (for example artificial
load in other domains) until it breaks.

> How do you develop a
> "regression test" to make sure that server-based workloads don't have
> issues in this sort of case?

For this I believe there are several benchmarking methods already,
starting with old trusty "Linux kernel build time".

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki