Re: Xen 4.19 release schedule proposal

Hi all,

I propose we raise this in the next community call (Thursday 1st Feb).
We can decide on the official cadence then and any further feedback.

Many thanks,
Kelly Choi

Community Manager
Xen Project

On Mon, Jan 8, 2024 at 2:58 PM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08.01.2024 15:37, Oleksii wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-01-04 at 13:52 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 02.01.2024 17:59, Oleksii wrote:
>>> I'd like to propose the release schedule for Xen 4.19.
>>>
>>> Based on the previous release schedules [1] and [2], it seems the
>>> next
>>> release date should be on Wednesday, July 10, 2024:
>>>
>>> ** Proposed option: Wed Jul 10, 2024 **
>>> (+9 months from Xen 4.18 release)
>>
>> Hmm, aren't we intending to be on a 8 month cadence?
> Considering that in July, there will be the Xen Developer Summit, we
> can aim for an 8-month cadence.

July? Iirc I read June in the announcement.

> However, in the Xen release document, there was mention of a discussion
> [1] about cadence:
> "With 18 months of full support and 36 months of security support, the
> number of concurrent supported releases will be the same with either 8
> or 9 months release cycles, so I have chosen an 8-month cycle for now."
>
> I interpreted this as either an 8 or 9-month cycle, and it's not
> strict. If there's a strict requirement for a specific duration, I'll
> resend the Release Schedule Proposal.

I'm not sure about "strict". Yet ...

> [1] https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2018-07/msg02240.html

... this very mail worked out how overlap with larger holiday ranges
could be minimized not only for a single release, but for any as long
as the cadence is followed. Iirc this works out better with 8 months
(as kind of to be expected, as then there are only 3 variants, whereas
with 9 months it would be 4 of them).

Just to clarify, personally I'm fine with 9 months or even longer, but
it seemed to me that we had settled on 8.

Jan