Re: Stats on Xen tarball downloads

Hi George,

On 21/02/2024 02:55, George Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 6:38 PM Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19.02.2024 11:31, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
On Mon, Feb 19, 2024 at 06:01:54PM +0800, George Dunlap wrote:
One of the questions we had with respect to changing our release
practice (for instance, making the process more light-weight so that
we could do a point release after every XSA) was, "How many people are
actually using the tarballs?"

What would this more lightweight process involve from a downstream
PoV?  IOW: in what would the contents of the tarball change compared
to the current releases?

 From all prior discussion my conclusion was "no tarball at all".

Or at very least, the tarball would be a simple `git archive` of a
release tag.   Right now the tarball creation has a number of
annoyingly manual parts about it.
At the moment we have the following steps:

1) Checkout tag
2) Create the tarball
3) Check the source tarball can build
4) Sign the tarball
5) Upload it

I managed to script it so I have only two commands to execute (mostly because I build and sign on a different host).

AFAIU, your command 'git archive' will only replace 2. Am I correct? If so, it is not entirely clear how your proposal is going to make it better.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall