[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [RFC PATCH 0/1] static-memory: allow skipping the cache flush



Hi Jan,

On 18/09/2026 22:23, Jan Setje-Eilers wrote:
On 9/17/26 04:06, Grall, Julien wrote:
A few years ago, Arm introduced FEAT_FWB to rework how stage-2 + stage-1
memory attributes works. Currently in Xen, we are using the "old"
approach where the used attributes is the strongest of the two. For
instance, the guest has the MMU off, then the access will bypass the
cache. With FEAT_FWB, you can force the memory attributes to be
cacheable even when the MMU is off.

I believe FEAT_FWB should solve the problem you have (assume your HW
supports it). In term of effort, it is mostly updating the stage-2
memory attributes and then getting rid of some cache operations (include
set/way emulation) when the feature is enabled.
  I found that as well, but at least some of my hardware is from just
before that shows up.

Thanks for clarification. I would have though most of such HW are pretty much gone :).

I am not entirely sure what's the best way forward for HW not supporting FEAT_FWB. With your approach, I am concerned we may be missing some cases after boot, so we could potentially skip the flush if the pages have not been touched for Xen (you said the pages are not scrubbed for static memory). I'd like some opinions from Bertrand, Michal and Stefano on this.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall




 


Rackspace

Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.