Re: [Xen-users] Xen and ways to install

Am Dienstag, den 19.04.2005, 12:06 +0100 schrieb Shahzad Chohan:
> Given that I keep installing my xen domains with a cd, I was wondering
> what other ways are possible for installing domains? I'm only
> installing rhel 3 + 4, and fedora core 3 and pre 4.

1) try starting a xenU kernel with some additional features (i remember
it needs cramfs, loop, ...) and the pxe-initrd
<http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/images/pxeboot/initrd.img>

(FC3 example). I once managed to start the FC installer this way inside
a UML. This should be able from _any_ linux distro!

2) a friend of mine managed to start the anaconda installer manually,
giving it an (empty) rootdir to install into. Do not have any details.

3) Mount the empty rootdir for the new installation and install the rpm
packages into it. "rpm" itself cannot resolve dependancies (so it's
package list has to be "dependancy-complete"), but yum and apt-for-rpm
can:

  rpm    --root           $ROOTDIR $COMPLETE_LIST_OF_RPM_PACKAGES

  yum    --installroot    $ROOTDIR $LIST_OF_RPM_PACKAGES

  apt-get -o RPM::RootDir=$ROOTDIR $LIST_OF_RPM_PACKAGES

After doing so, create/edit the usual files (fstab, hosts, resolv.conf,
inittab, network-configuration, ...), rename /lib/tls, umount & boot.

I install all my RH/FC/CentOS VMs with apt-get.

/nils.