[Xen-users] boot fails with "No volume groups found"

Hi users,

This has me stumped.  I've become an expert on making this NOT work;(

FC3, raid 1, lvm, with stock 2.6.9 kernel boots fine.

Clean xen-2.0.5 from bkbits, make world, etc. no errors.

I've xconfig'd to include my motherboard's (ecs KT600) chipset (via 82Cxxx) and processor (k7), and moved /lib/tls out of the way, make'd and installed (with ARCH=xen) and created an initial ram disk:

  mkinitrd \
  --omit-scsi-modules \
  --omit-raid-modules \
  initrd-2.6.10-xen0.img \
  2.6.10-xen0

Here are two grub stanzas, first one is default, second is for Xen

title fc3 (2.6.9-1.667)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/Domains/dom0 vga=0x317
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

title fc3 (2.6.10) Xen
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=524288 noreboot
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 ro root=/dev/Domains/dom0 console=tty0
        module /initrd-2.6.10-xen0.img

Boot proceeds without error until this place in the boot up sequence:
  Starting udev
  Making device_mapper control node
  Scanning logical volumes
    Reading... this may take awhile...
  cdrom: open failed
    No volume groups found  ****

This is the line that works with 2.6.9 but fails with 2.6.10-xen0.

Tried with binary install and achieved the same results.

Read and googled and list archived til I can't see any more.  Any advice?

TIA,  (and hopefully this has not been in front of my nose)
Mike Wright