Re: [Xen-users] mysql & xen - is anyone using this combinationsuccessfully?

Ian Pratt wrote, On 24/05/05 13:54:

>>I'm beginning to wonder whether it's safe to use mysql on xen
>>in a live environment.
>

> We've tended to do our testing with PostgreSQL, but we obviously want
> mysql to work perfectly too.
>
> Are you just running with the glibc tls disabled? If so, its possible
> that its an incompatibility with the old thread library that it falls
> back to.

I'm using gentoo, and have specifically excluded the "nptl" USE flag to
prevent the new thread handling. I have no tls directory under /lib, so I
guess this is working (?)

> The best soloution is to install a 'xen friendly' glibc for your
> installation. What distro are you running?
>
> The othe ralternative is to not disable tls by mv'ing the directory out
> the way, but to leave it active. You'll get some loss of performance,
> but it should be executed correctly.
>
> Another interesting datapoint would be to try the unstable.bk tree. It's
> still a bit 'raw', but providing you're just using the features present
> in 2.x its actually pretty stable.
>
> If anyone has a simple recipe for deterministically provoking this issue
> it would be good to know.

FWIW, my setup here has involved several machines a couple of "live" ones
basically used to hold transient data in a queue, a development box and a
reporting server containing large volumes of log records - mostly used for
queries.

It's the reporting server which had the data corruption, and the two queue
handlers which have experienced the segvs.

The queue handlers are running on identical boxes (IBM e325s over scsi), and
the reporting server on a generic system over SATA, if this helps.

The queue handlers have both had the segv, but at different times. They're in
a round-robin carrying much the same traffic. I guess this means the problem
is going to be difficult to reproduce :-(

> Best,
> Ian

Hope this helps,
Paul.