Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Network performance - sending from VM to VM using TCP

Cherie Cheung wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for answering me. Here's what I have:

Were you testing with 65536 bytes exactly for some reason?
This is stop and go traffic and normally the kernel doesn't
use the entire buffer to store data - it's roughly half...

Could you test with different send sizes?

No special reason for that. What do you mean by kernel doesn't use the
entire buffer to store the data? I have tried different send size. It
doesn't make any noticable difference.

If you just want to improve your peformance, increase your
buffer sizes!

For example:
tcp_rmem = 4096 1398080 8388608
tcp_wmem = 4096 1398080 8388608

The performance only improved a little.

TCP STREAM TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to dw15.ucsd.edu
(172.19.222.215) port 0 AF_INET
Recv Send Send Socket Socket Message Elapsed Size Size Size Time Throughput bytes bytes bytes secs. 10^6bits/sec 1398080 1398080 1398080 80.39 26.55
can't compare with that of domain0 to domain0.

Were you seeing losses, queue overflows?

how to check that?

More importantly, how much memory do you have in the system and
how were you allocating it?

it said 127MB in sudo xm list

is it really the problem with the buffer size and send size? domain0
can achieve such good performance under the same settings. Is the
bottleneck related to the overhead in the VM that causes the problem?

also, I had performed some more tests:
with bandwidth 150Mbit/s and RTT 40ms

domain0 to domain0
Recv Send Send Socket Socket Message Elapsed Size Size Size Time Throughput bytes bytes bytes secs. 10^6bits/sec 87380 65536 65536 80.17 135.01 vm to vm Recv Send Send Socket Socket Message Elapsed Size Size Size Time Throughput bytes bytes bytes secs. 10^6bits/sec 87380 65536 65536 80.55 134.80
under these setting, VM to VM performed as good as domain0 to domain0.
if I increased or decreased the BDP, the performance dropped again.

Hi Cherie,

Please pardon my ignorance.  What is BDP?

TIA

Any idea what is causing the problem?

Thanks.

Cherie