[Xen-users] auto adjusting memory (was: system suggestion)

Mark Williamson wrote:
>>IMO, the limiting factor is not CPU but RAM available to a virtual
>>machine.  it would be nice if there were some way to let memory float
>>between virtual machines based on need.  In the other hand, it may be
>>there already and I just haven't figured it out.
>
> It doesn't happen automatically - you'd have to use the balloon driver
> to shrink one domain and grow another one.  A feature we'd like to see
> is "auto-ballooning" where dom0 will adjust domU memory footprints
> based on their current utilisation.  This is likely to appear at some
> stage in the future...

How would you determine actual utilisation when linux likes to eat all the ram available?

Would you go by swap file usage, or something else?

(Feel free to tell me I'm under-educated about *nix systems, if necessary.)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/