Re: [Xen-users] Suse 9.3 "kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable tomount root fs on unknown-block (8, 1)"

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, David F Barrera wrote:

> > > disk = ['file:/home/name/vm1disk,sda1,w']
> Try using '0801' instead of sda1

why? The kernel went to the right spot (8,1)...

there just wasn't anything there... which suggests /home/name/vm1disk is
somehow not correct.

hhmm, I must be wrong. 2.0.5 won't let you specify an non existant file.

   [root@xen1 /etc/xen]# xm create bogus -c
   Using config file "bogus".
   Error: Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found:  \
     uname=file:/home/name/vm1disk

ok, if I create a bogus file, e.g. not a legit filesystem, I get

   Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
   unknown-block(8,1)

if I now turn around and format that bogus file as a filesystem,
e.g. mke2fs /tmp/delete.me and boot with

   disk = [ 'file:/tmp/delete.me,sda1,w']

I get past that stage, and instead run into the more normal:

   Warning: unable to open an initial console.
   Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init=
      option to kernel.

The warning indicates there was no /dev/console, and the "no
init" means that there was no /sbin/init program on the
filesystem (no suprise, it was just built for testing, so it was empty).

Anyhow, to cut a long story short...
/home/name/vm1disk file does exist, but apparently is not a valid
filesystem. And that is likely to take more than a few sentences to
explain away :-(

-Tom