Re: [Xen-users] Custom Build

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:48:49 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:47:53 +0000

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:39:43AM -0500, Matthew J. Harmon wrote:
> I'm building several small Xen virtuals to compartmentalize applications
> such as BIND, Apache, PostgreSQL, etc.  I'm looking to build the virtuals
> with only the necessary libraries and packages.
>
> Any recommendations for how to go about this?

What distribution do you prefer?

I did a debootstrap of debian sarge from about a month ago and
without particularly trying to get it as small as possible, the
minimal install is a tar.bz2 of about 70MB.

I use that as the basis for my domUs, I have one domU run apt-proxy,
point the /etc/apt/sources.list at that apt-proxy and then use
apt-get as normal to add whatever extra packages are needed per
domU.