Re: [Xen-users] How to install a domu

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Shahzad Chohan wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I know this is probably a basic question, but I'm having real
> difficulty in trying to figure out a way of installing a rhel 3 (not a
> yum distro) domU. I'm stumped for ideas, everywhere else it talks
> about installing fedora but it has the luxury of using yum. Please can
> someone help me with a guide as to how to accomplish this. I've
> searched google but I'm not having much luck.

Everyone seems to talk about running through the normal installation
process, my approach is generally to clone an existing install. This won't
help much if you want to try new versions/distributions etc...

> So far I've got a partition /dev/hda5. I ran MAKEDEV, but after this
> I'm stuck  about do I install an the os  into it?

mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

rsync -rav -H --one-file-system / /mnt/

# repeat for all other filesystems you need
# e.g. If this was the source box and I needed to clone it, I
# would sync usr2 as well.

   /dev/md0               5044064   4119988    667848  87% /
   /dev/md1             192958776  19148768 173810008  10% /usr2

e.g.
rsync -rav -H --one-file-system /usr2/ /mnt/usr2/

Note that tar will work fine too...

(cd / && tar --one-file-system -cf -) | (cd /mnt && tar -xvf -)

The filesystem locks stop you from copying /proc by accident.

then you can chroot into the new filesystem and it should work
fine... e.g.

chroot /mnt/

you can tweak whatever settings you need, e.g. /etc/fstab will be
required, and probably your network config.

-Tom