[Xen-users] poor network performance?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Kirchy <kirchy@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:42:47 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:41:46 +0000

I played around with Xen before and now wanted to make serious use of it for the first time:

I installed Xen on a p4-2.6ghz, 2GB RAM and SATA-disks (debian linux)
I set up an guest with debian sarge with no problems on a seperate 200gb-partition (as /).

I then tried to copy a large file (300mb) via scp and ftp from my main database-server to the xenU (gigabit network, server is a opteron on a high-end tyan-board with LAN on board, xen-pc is a intel-board with gigabit-lan on board) to have an idea of how long it would take to copy a large backup file via the network, but copying was so slow (around 4MB/sec), that i thought the ethernet-card might be in 100mbit-mode - but it wasn't. I have the same poor performance no matter if I copy to dom0 or domU :( I copied the same file to another database-server in the gigabit-network and got around 12mb/sec (still slow, but that other database is under heavy load so a lot of traffic should be on there) I have acceptable performance when I copy a 300mb-file locally on the xen0 from one sata-disk to another (16mb/sec). (time cp /tmp/file.dat /disk2/file.dat) I have around 9mb/sec if I copy a 300mb-file locally on xenU (time cp file.dat file2.dat) on the same partition

I found out that eth0 on the xen0 was in promiscuous mode (because of xen or the bridge utils?) and disabled that ( ip link set eth0 promisc off), but the speed didn't change.

Any ideas somebody? We've been using that Server with the same hardware before as a backup system and didn't have any performance problems. When I start the server with the standard debian 2.6.7-kernel, I get around 12mb/sec, so it must be about the xen-kernel?

Thanks for any hints... I'm stuck and confused right now..

Jan