Re: Spam:*, [Xen-users] Xen questions - Swap, networking and errors

Marcus Brown wrote:

> Daniel Lang wrote:
>

>>1)When I boot xen0, the specified amount of RAM shows up in top
>>correctly, but the swap partitions I have are not activated.  When I
>>attempt to activate swap myself, I recieve the following error message:
>>      xen:/# swapon /dev/hde2
>>      swapon: /dev/hde2: No such device or address
>>The server has a mirrored RAID1 setup, and both MD devices are detected
>>and mounted properly.  However, I am confused about why the kernel does
>>not see the hard disk partitions themselves.  The disks are SATA drives,
>>and so at first I thought perhaps it didn't recongize the drives, but if
>>that were the case, I don't think either MD device would be detected
>>properly.  Is there a boot option that I have not seen to address this
>>issue?
>>

> Make sure the device exists with #fdisk -l /dev/hde
> I guess it's possible that your drives are now allocated a different node.
> On your original kernel, it would appear from what you're saying,
> that your SATA drives all came up as hdX.
> However, on you dom0 kernel, they are sdX.

Yes, I discovered this.  Thank you pointing it out.

>>As a side note, what is a proper amount of RAM needed for xen0?  I have
>>not found any documentation really stating how much RAM is need for the
>>priveledged Xen instance.  The server itself has 4GB of RAM.  Should
>>xen0 have all 4GB of RAM to partition to the xenU domains?
>>

> The kernel stanza in grub's menu.lst specifies the amount of memory for
> dom0 to use, not how much it has to share. I'm not certain about the actual
> memory overheads involved in running domains, but I've found that 128MB
> is more than enough to run a couple of domains, NFS server, etc.
>

>>2)With the default xend config, when I start xend the bridge device
>>xen-br0 is created.  However, after that I lose all network activity to
>>xen0.  I noticed that no vif devices were created, only xen-br0.
>>Initially, xen-br0 doesn't have an IP.  I've tried setting it to the IP
>>of eth0, and a 192.168.0.x IP, but I still cannot get networking up.
>>
>>I changed the xend config to use the network-route rather than network,
>>and when I start xend, networking doesn't go down, but xen-br0 is not
>>created.  I am not sure why the default network config is not working.
>>Do I need to make changes to the routing tables?
>>

> I initially had this problem too, and like you, I switched to routing
> until I
> got everything else working and realised that routing just didn't cut it!
> I'd suggest you get everything else going first.

I've got the test domain running now, and networking for xenU doesn't
seem to work.  Here is the current output from ifconfig:

xen:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0E:0C:3D:C2:7F
          inet addr:204.225.94.83  Bcast:204.225.94.127
Mask:255.255.255.192
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:8393755 (8.0 MiB)  TX bytes:4168294 (3.9 MiB)
          Base address:0xec00 Memory:defa0000-defc0000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:296403 (289.4 KiB)  TX bytes:296403 (289.4 KiB)

vif3.0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
          inet addr:169.254.1.0  Bcast:169.254.255.255  Mask:255.255.255.255
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:462 (462.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Is the network settings for vif3.0 the result of the not configuring the
vif variable in my xenU config?  I am hesitant specifying a mac address
as I'm afraid of fubar'ing something.

> [snip]
>

>>disk = [ 'file:/clients/test/root_fs,sda1,w',
>>'file:/clients/test/swap_fs,sda2,w' ]
>>

> [snip]
>

>># Set root device.
>>root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
>>

> [snip]
>
> Your root device seems incorrectly set. Your device export line suggests
> that the line should be:
> root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

Aww! Yes this was it.  I always seem to miss some mundane detail such as
that.  Thank you for being an extra set of eyes.

> Hope that helps, and good luck :)

Thanks for the help so far.

> Marcus.

Daniel Lang