Re: [Xen-users] guest domain not booting

Hi Marco,

I'm using a similar setup on Debian with dom0 using sid
and multiple domUs using sarge. (Can't remember why now;))
All domains use kernel 2.6.11.12 (xen testing),
but each compiled with different options.
[end long story]
I haven't really got any answers for you I'm afraid
so hopefully my questions below won't send you
off on a wild good chase!

Marco La Rosa wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm having problems booting a guest OS. I've used xen-2.0.6-src.tgz.
>
>I've compiled a 2.6.11.10-xen0 kernel on both Ubuntu 5.04 and Debian
>unstable using the stock debian .config files (for 2.6.11). Both of
>these attempts worked and allow me to boot into dom0.

I assume you just copied your config to xen/linux-2.6.11.10-xen0
and did a 'make dist' or 'make kernel-2.6' ?
If you did it manually make sure to do a
make ARCH=xen oldconfig (or menuconfig....etc).
Did you use a Debianised kernel source for your Debianised config?
(just apt-get a kernel-source and copy it into your xen source root)

>The problem is when I try to start a guest domain. LVM2 has been used to
>create a root device and a swap device which have both been initialised
>and set up (debian bootstrap used to create the root filesystem - all of
>the necessary configuration of this guest OS has been done).  The
>xen config file is as follows:
>
>#***********************************
>#  -*- mode: python; -*-
>
>kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-xenU"
>ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.11-xenU"

Are you sure you need an initrd?

>memory = 256

Is this much memory free?
(ie. your system has > 384MB ram?)

>name = "dom01"
>cpu = -1   # leave to Xen to pick

Might as well leave it blank then?

>disk = [ 'phy:xen/dom01root,sda1,w',
>         'phy:xen/dom01swap,sda2,w']
>root = "/dev/sda1"
>#************************************
>
>I can start the xend service and query it:
>

>>xm list
>>

>Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
>Domain-0           0      123    0  r----     26.1
>
>However, when I try to start the guest domain using:
>
>xm create /etc/xen/dom01.conf -c

If you don't like typing that much:
xm create dom01

>All i see is the following line of output:
>
>Using config file "/etc/xen/dom01.conf".
>
>And the machine locks up. I then have to power cycle it. No errors are
>reported in any of the xen log files.

Do your syslogs tell you anything?
Perhaps you could do multiple ssh logins to your dom0
from another machine and watch a few logs simultaneously?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thanx, Marco.

Hope that something above helps,

Marcus.