Re: [Xen-users] ramdisk option in domU config file does not work

I have 1GB of memory on my machine, of which 756 are free. Whenever I
try to start a DomU with an initrd file, I get the same error that Li Ge
reported:
        Using config file "vm1.cfg".
        Error: Error creating domain: (0, 'Error')

DomU will start just fine without the initrd; however, in one case where
I have a DomU with a Reiser FS, I need to be able to use the initrd (I
know I can build support for Reiser into the kernel, but that is not the
point).

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 11:18 +0200, Boris Lenzinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had this problem (well I think it was the same): you do not have
> enough free memory to run your instance.
>
> run:
> xm info
>
> It will tell you how much free memory you have.
> First solution is to decrease the memory in the configuration to check
> if you can run your configuration.
> If it is working (and you need more memory), decrease memory of dom0.
>
> If still not working, what is the log file saying ? (/var/log/xend.log
> on a fedora distribution)
>
> Boris
>
> Li Ge wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I added ramdisk option in domU config file to let it load initrd when
> > domU is booting up. I got the follow error message:
> >
> > # xm create /root/vm1.cfg -c
> > Using config file "/root/vm1.cfg".
> > Error: Error creating domain: (0, 'Error')
> >
> > When I commented the ramdisk option out, the problem went away and I
> > could start domU without a problem. Here is the domU config file I used:
> >
> > # Kernel image file.
> > kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xenU"
> >
> > # Optional ramdisk.
> > #ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.12-xenU-reiserFS"
> > ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.12-xenU"
> >
> > # Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
> > memory = 128
> >
> > # A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
> > name = "vm1"
> >
> > disk = [ 'phy:sda7,hda1,w' ]
> >
> > # Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.
> > #dhcp="dhcp"
> > # Set netmask.
> > #netmask=
> > # Set default gateway.
> > #gateway=
> > # Set the hostname.
> > #hostname= "vm%d" % vmid
> >
> > # Set root device.
> > root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
> >
> > # Sets runlevel 4.
> > extra = "4"
> >
> > Could it be something I've missed? The xen version is the xen-unstable
> > tree with latest changeset 5814.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Li

Regards,

David F Barrera
Linux Technology Center
Systems and Technology Group, IBM

"The wisest men follow their own direction. "
                                                        Euripides