Re: [Xen-users] Re-starting backend domain

> I've taken the network card away from Dom0, and given it to a domain
> I'll call DomNet.  I'm able to bring up DomU domains that use DomNet for
> their network access.

Excellent.  Lots of people are using this partitioning functionality - it's
good to see people taking advantage of it.

> However, if DomNet goes down once the DomUs are
> running, I'm not able to bring DomNet back up and get the DomUs
> re-connected.  Basically, I think the issue I'm having is with
> re-connecting the driver back-end with the driver front-ends.

It *ought* to work but it's not been tried much: if domnet goes down, it still
can't take the whole host down but it'd obviously be much better if recovery
behaved correctly.

> Has anyone else done this?  Any hints on reconnecting?  Or is this
> something that just can't be done with the current code base?

This task should be performed by Xend but we've never really supported it in
the 2.0 release.  There was an experimental version of Xend that we used for
the restart experiments.

This really ought to be fixed but we could do with a volunteer to trace it
down in the 2 series (this code will get rewritten for the 3 series, at which
point it'll hopefully start working properly).  Basically one would need to
add tracing to Xend and the drivers to see what part of the control message
protocol is not being executed properly.

Cheers,
Mark