Re: [Xen-users] Debian, Xen 2.0.6 and the TERM env

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 13:26, Jørgen Sander-Larsen wrote:
> I've installed xen with debian sarge as dom0 and domU's. I've used
> debootstrap to install the first domU, and it worked fine except one
> little thing:
> When I connect to the domU console (xm console 2) and execute
> base-config (a debian thing), it failes.
> To solve the problem, set the TERM env to xterm (export TERM=xterm) and
> then execute base-config, and you have a running domU in minutes. Xen
> rules!!!

The xen console is a dumb serial console, so applications relying on valid
termcap/ncurses/etc data for their tty will fail... But if your dom0 shell is
inside a xterm, setting TERM to it would be a valid workarround.

> I also have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to restrict domU's, so they are not able to change the
> ip address given at startup ?

No. Xen only offers the guests a generic ethernet device, what IP or other
protocols run on it is only controlled by the running xenU OS.
But Yes, you can run a firewall in dom0 to drop all packets from a domU with a
wrong IP adress.
Or if you route your domU network traffic instead of bridging it, a simple
host-route inside dom0 would prevent the domU from using wrong IPs...

> 2. Ctrl+] does not work for me. When, attached to the dom0 console, I
> run xm console 2, I can not get back to dom0. When I ssh to dom0 from my
> workstation, and do the same I have no problem. My keyboard layout is
> dk-latin1. Anybody with a solution ?

Well, its the same escape sequence you would use in telnet to get the command
prompt. I don't know the dk keyboard layout, but for my german one the key
combination would be Ctrl-AltGr-9

/Ernst