Re: [Xen-users] Follow up: eth0 not getting an inet4 addr using DHCP

Digvijoy Chatterjee wrote:
> network restart doesnt help either :
>
> [root@localhost ~]# service network restart
> Shutting down interface eth0:  Device eth0 has different MAC address
> than expected, ignoring.
> [FAILED]
> Shutting down loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:  [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:
> Determining IP information for eth0... failed.
> [FAILED]

You've just pointed out your own problem. Fedora/RH/CentOS network init
scripts associate the original MAC address with the network
configuration in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*, and won't
touch an interface that doesn't match. Either (a) set a static MAC in
your domain configs and fix it in the interface config file, or (b)
comment out or remove the line (which starts with 'HWADDR=', I think),
and this problem will disappear.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx