Re: [Xen-users] Guest O/S Questions

> I have just recently discovered the XEN VMM and am trying to familiarize
> myself with it.  I'm a newbe at it, so bear with me.

No probs, here goes...

> I'd like to install an O/S onto a guest virtual machine.  Domain 0 is RHEL4
> on Xen 2.0.7.  My question is how I would go about installing from a set of
> distribution CD's (say RHEL4 or SUSE9) into a file-backed VMM.  Can anyone
> help me out with this?

Installing into a file-backed VBD from a distro CD is tricky.  If you really
want to use the distro CD then the easiest thing is to install into a spare
partition and use that as your virtual machine disk.  (it'll also perform
better than a file-backed VBD)

Otherwise, debootstrap (Debian) and rpmstrap (works with Redhat, maybe Suse)
may be worth looking at: just mount the loop file and use one of these
programs to install into the directory.

Cheers,
Mark