[Xen-users] Which kernal am I using anyway?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Anders Nygren <anders.nygren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:18:29 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:16:30 +0000

Hi
I have started playing with Xen on SuSE 9.3 and just discovered
something that I can not understand.

In the config file for a virtual machine there are two parameters
kernel = path to kernel to load
root    = root device

I assumed that Xen would look for the kernel on the root device, but
instead it just uses the path given in the kernel parameter in the
domain0 directory tree.

So, am I doing something wrong, or is it supposed to work this way?

If it is supposed to work this way, does anyone have any suggestions
on how to do updates of the kernel in domainN>0.

If I do a yast update in domN>0 the kernel will not be updated since
it is actually stored in dom0.

/Anders Nygren