Re: [Xen-users] Which kernal am I using anyway?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Gino LV. Ledesma" <gledesma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:53 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:48:59 +0000

The actual kernel resides in dom0. It is in dom0, after all, that you
start/stop domain instances. To update your kernel, simply change the
kernel= param in your config file.

One way of looking at it is that all "xen stuff" (hypervisor, tools,
dom0 and domU kernels) will reside in dom0, and you can leave all
domUs as-is without having to worry about them being "xen" or whatnot.
That way, if you decide to migrate a xen host to a real machine, the
changes are minimal if any at all.

I've packaged xen into an RPM as follows: xen (hypervisor, tools,
docs, etc), xen-kernel-dom0, and xen-kernel-domU, all being used
within dom0. :-)

HTH,
- gino ledesma