RE: [Xen-users] Fixed MAC address causes spurios network connectivityloss.

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:19:02 +0200
  • Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:17:13 +0000

> > If I uncomment the "vif = " line in the configuration file
> > the VM's network is rock solid, but I need a fixed MAC
> > address because of the flex license manager that runs on the VM.
>
> Are you sure some other machine on your network isn't also using that
> MAC?

I am quite confident since I had no problems running the VM as a VMware
guest with that same MAC. I'll however admit that it sounds too probable
for comfort, so I'll try booting the VMware thing up again just to
double-check that it does not have the problem. I could also just try
another fixed MAC to test it.

Could VMware's network bridging be hanging on to the MAC after VM
shutdown, fooling the network ? Not trying to push the blame on them,
just exploring possibilites... Can I trace MAC resolution to see where
packets are headed when things go wrong (guess it is in a FAQ somewhere
for network administrators) ?

> > I'm running Xen 2.0.6 with Debian Sarge in domain-0, various
> > RedHat domUs.
>
> You may wish to upgrade to 2.0.7 or 2.0-testing anyhow.

Yep - if other attempts fail, I'll try that.

Cheers
-- Jan